Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Office Reno Project: Document Holder

As you know from my "Laundry/Office Room Renovation - Part 1" post, my big project right now is putting the finishing touches on my newly renovated laundry/office.  Big reveal to come, that is, if I ever get done before the baby comes.  So much on my "TO DO" list.

Anyway, wanted to share some of the smaller projects I'm working on to "add" to my new office space.  This was a quick and easy project, but I loved how it turned out.  You really don't need a tutorial for this, but I'd thought I would do one anyway since it never hurts!

I had purchased a plastic thing-a mabobber (no, not the technical term for it) at Staples a while back ago.  I think it's supposed to be some sort of literature holder (like for flyers, pamphlets and brochures) for stores, but I wanted to have it to hold my notepads, stamps, frequently referenced documents, etc...  I had it sitting on my desk, with the thought of maybe hanging up on the wall someday.  But let's face it, this thing looks BORING!




I thought I'd spice it up with some scrapbook paper and Modge Podge.  I HEART Modge Podge!


I used scrapbook paper from Prima Papers "Breathe Paper Collection" by Corina Nielson (purchased at Michaels).  It's basically a collection of coordinating designs and colors.  I'm really into green and blue right now, so that's going to be my new color palette for the office.  I used the literature holder as a template and traced the shape onto the scrapbook paper and cut it out.


The holder actually has a removable plastic divider to split each level in half.  I'm using the divider for the first two levels (for smaller supplies).  That's why you see the piece above cut in half as well.

Using a sponge brush (also purchased at Michaels), I put a layer of Modge Podge over the paper (image side).  I then inserted the paper into each section and smoothed out the wrinkles and bubbles.  Easy right?  Here is the final result.  I think it gives a nice pop of color and doesn't look as plastic-y as it did before!




Cost:  Free!  Yup, I had all these supplies on hand, so I didn't have to spend any money for this quick and easy project.  LOVE IT!

For now, it sits here.  That is, until I can get the rest of the space together.  And then maybe it will find a different home.  K, so now are you ready to try your hand at Modge Podge-ing?

4 comments:

Ronni B said...

Phuong- this is a super cute idea! I love the paper designs. So crafty! I'm definitely going to try this!

pezgirl said...

ooolalala! me like!
i'm bring mine over so u can do for me ;)

Jenn said...

How cute is that? Fabulous idea! Thanks for popping by my blog. If you were referring to the white storage cubes, they are from Michaels. They were picked up gradually over time when they were on sale or with the 40% off coupons. Stackable and interchangeale!

Push "It" Pallet said...

Now that's just a creative and great idea! I must find one to do myself. Nice!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...