Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Household Binder Challenge


In my attempts to be better organized for 2011, I decided I would finally jump on the "blog"-wagon and create a "Command Center Binder" (aka Household Binder).  I love organizing with binders and already have a "binder system" for bills and taxes.  I thought I'd expand upon my system to include a Household Binder too!

The Household Binder essentially becomes your family's ultimate reference tool and the home for all the paper that's currently plastered to your refrigerator or cluttering up your kitchen counter!  It's basically a one stop shop for all your most referenced information like emergency phone numbers, frequently called numbers, cleaning list, etc...

This is exactly what my family needed.  No more digging around for the plumbers phone number or having my fridge plastered with the gym schedule and magnetic business cards!  After a google search, I downloaded Aby Garvey's free guide "How to Create A Command Central Binder".  The guide helped me narrow down what I wanted to keep in my Household Binder.  I decided on the following sections:
  • Emergency Information - Address & directions to my house (in case there was an emergency and someone other then me had to phone for help).  The hubby's and my work information and phone numbers.  Secondary emergency phone numbers (i.e. close family and friends and next door neighbor). Numbers to the pediatrician, Poison Control and "Ask A Nurse". 
  • Service Directory - Plumber, cleaning service, electrician, dog groomer, babysitter, etc...
  • Frequently Called Numbers - Numbers of family and friends, doctor's office, etc...
  • Gym Hours and Group Class Schedule.
  • Health Insurance Information.
  • Pet Sitting Instructions & Babysitting Instructions - So I don't have to retype them each time.
  • Business Cards
I wanted to do this on the cheap, so I used what I had around the house.
  • One 3-ring binder
  • Page protectors
  • Label maker
  • Dividers
  • 3 hole punch
After gathering all my information and materials, I loaded up the binder with the dividers and page protectors.  I'll be dedicating a separate posts about my "misadventure" with the dividers soon (b/c you know I never do anything the easy way)!  So there my binder sat.  Empty and incomplete.  I didn't want my binder to be plain with black and white charts and checklists.  I wanted it to be "pretty", with a colorful binder cover and nicely laid out lists and charts.  But I didn't know where to start!

Then my prayers were answered when one of my FAVORITE blogs, IHeartOrganizing, posted the Household Binder Challenge!  Jen is amazingly organized and the best thing about her... she does it with STYLE!  My kind of girl!

Jen created a binder cover, one that you can personalize:


I was so excited, I quickly downloaded and printed it out!


 For the month of March, Jen is giving away free printables for IHeartOrganizing's Household Binder challenge.  So far, I've been able to snag a few goodies and add sections that I didn't think about to my binder:
Jen promises more freebies such as a Home Maintenance Checklist, Daily Schedule for the kids (for step in babysitters), Pet Info, Freezer Inventory and Important Contact and Household Information. 

You can also go to her Etsy shop to purchase other customizable checklist and templates.

Okay, so remember, these printables are only FREE for the month of March!  So even if you're not ready to start your Household Binder, I suggest you go over to IHeartOrganizing and download the templates before they're no longer available!  Then whenever you are ready to start the project, you'll have everything ready to go!

I've linked each of the printables to the specific blog posting, but if you want to see ALL of the FREE PDF printables for the binder, check out Jen's sidebar and they'll all be at your fingertips.


And before you ask, no, I'm not getting paid to endorse IHeartOrganizing, I just REALLY HEART Organizing and I TOTALLY Heart Jen's blog!  So, get on over to IHeartOrganizing and take the Household Binder Challenge!

I leave you with some images of IHeartOrganizing free printables!  They are so P.R.E.T.T.Y. and you know how much I like pretty!

{all images below are from IHeartOrganizing}








Seriously, what are you still doing here!

Linking to the following parties:

1 comments:

pezgirl said...

cool! just downloaded mine!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...