Monday, February 28, 2011

Laundry/Office Room Renovation - Part 1

Well... there goes my 2011 blogging resolution of posting more frequently.  I think this is my 3rd in 2011 so far.  Where have I been you ask?  Between work, being pregnant, dealing with a VERY SASSY 2 year old, and doing some renovations, I've been E.X.H.A.U.S.T.E.D.  There are times during the day when I think, "this would be great to blog about".  Then I get too tired or busy to actually sit down and type up the blog.

Anyway, before I start going on and on, I want to share with you one of the projects hubby and I have been busy with.  Last summer, I decided I wanted to finish off the "unfinished" portion of my basement.  It WAS, a movie theater room (now a playroom for Little Muon) and off to the side is a 200 square foot laundry/storage room.

Here's are some pictures of the "movie theater" room before it turned into a playroom!  Hubby mourned the day he lost his man room.  You see what parents do for their kids!


Hubby insisted on getting "movie theater" recliners (with cup holders too)!


The other side of the room.  We liked having our friends come over and play board games every once in a while, so the table was perfect in the space!


You can see the door leading into the laundry room on the left side next to the bookshelf.  I thought to myself, I could utilize this space so much better.  The Plan:  Move the bedroom/office downstairs into the basement.  Hubby and I called up a basement renovation company who specialized in the installation of a panel wall system that was resistant to moisture.  For my little 200 square foot room, the company wanted $20,000!  Yes, I said TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!  But the sales guy was going to give me a discount if I allowed the company to put a sign on my lawn.  I could have my new laundry room/office for the low, low price of $16,000!

I don't know about you, but I couldn't justify spending $16,000 for only 200 square foot of space.  Personally, I would have renovated my kitchen first for this insane amount!

So option #2, call up dad.  So the hubby and dad spent last summer framing and putting up drywall.  Dad even re-routed the vents so I could get heat in the room!  He put up recessed lighting and even gave me a closet!

Here's what the room looked during the renovation.  Hubby and dad started the project without letting me take a "BEFORE" picture!  I was so upset!  Anyway, here is dad starting to frame out the cement walls.  Sorry for the crappy quality, hubby took these with his camera phone.


This is the "office" area.  Dad and hubby finished the framing and some of the drywall at this point.  See my new closet!  The other half of the room is my "laundry" area.


With the drywall up, electricity and light ran, Dad decided that between hubby and I, we could finish the rest of the project ourselves.  With our funds running low, the project came to a stop.  We were left with a half done room.


 Here is the laundry area:


My office:


So with the new baby coming, I thought we should kick start the renovation back into full gear!  First thing to tackle was the cold, cement floors!  And then of course, revamp my closet with some shelving.


In the meantime, this is what my "movie theater" room looked like.  Boy, we have a lot of JUNK!  Can we say HOARDERS!  Hey, don't judge!


Well, that's what I've been up too.  Floors and closet are finally done and we're slowly moving things back in (not before going thru EVERY SINGLE ITEM and purging a lot of crap first)!  But I'll save that reveal for next time!  Here's a sneak peak of the shelves being installed into the closet.  You can also see a little bit of the tiles we installed!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You are busy!! Oh my goodness! I am also following you back! =)
Have a great Friday!
Michelle

Faye said...

Awwww man, it is understandable that he was pretty sad to lose his "Man Room" to make way for the kids' playroom. Still, I am excited to see what it looks like when it's done. I'm pretty sure it'll be nicely done!

Faye Acklin

Back2life bathrooms said...

Nice Blog , This is what I exactly Looking for , Keep sharing more blog.


Laundry Renovation Brisbane

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...