Sunday, September 26, 2010

Not Super Mom.

The blog world is pretty new to me and it's opened up a whole new world of ideas and inspiration!  I usually follow blogs about organizing, crafting, parties, and cooking (just to name a few).  As much as I love following and reading these blogs, sometimes they make me feel like a bad mom and wife. 

Let me explain.  Most of these organizing blogs are written by stay at home moms.  Not only do these "Super Moms" have the patience to be at home EVERY.DAY with their kids, but they provide educational crafts and projects for them.  On top of that they keep their houses immaculently clean, make home cooked, nutritional meals, are beautifully made up, and make extra money for their family by having a successful blog!  Atleast that's what it seems like to me.  By the way, none of the description above apply to me! 

I'm a full time working mom.  During my industry's busy season, I work 50 - 60 hours a week.  There have been days where I work from 9 am - 8pm, come home to spend a little time with the hubby and Little Muon and then log back online to work until 3 am!  I don't cook any meals that require more then 30 minutes, my house always needs some sort of dusting or cleaning, there is always a ton of laundry to either wash, fold or put away and you'll usually find me sporting a pony tail and no makeup!

Inevitably, these Super Moms always seem to post on their blog about their day to day routine in the hopes of giving you tips and ideas on how to run a clean, organized household.  One Super Mom said that she cleaned and washed her kitchen and bathroom floors everyday (haha, yeah right))!  Some suggest doing one load of laundry everyday.  And one even had time to make a home cooked dinner, help her kids do homework, bathe them, and have family time before putting her kids down for bed by 7pm.  Um, I'm usually leaving work at 7pm!

So I thought I'd write my own version of tips and ideas on running a household... minus the super powers!

1)  Mahalo for Leaving Your Shoes at the Door -  That's the sign hanging on the wall as you enter my house.  This is my first line of defense in fighting and reducing dirt that enters the house.  Have you ever looked at the bottom of your shoes?  Yuck!  Not only do shoes bring in unneccessary dirt, but they can track in residual pesticides from the outdoors.  I read one study that showed that indoor shoe-wearing was a larger source of children’s pesticide exposures than eating non-organic fruits and vegetables!

2)  Vacuum high traffic areas EVERY DAY... well my Roomba does anyway!

Although the no shoes rules help reduce the amount of dirt that comes in the house, it can't be totally avoided.  I have 3 dogs that track in plenty of their own dirt.  Since the dogs don't wear shoes and can't leave them at the door, my Roomba has become my best friend.  I'm sure you've seen the commercials and have always wondered "is it worth it"?  Roomba's are not cheap, but trust me, they are worth it!  I bought mine on HSN.  You can opt to spread out your payments to help with the cost.  I don't have time to vacuum everyday, but my Roomba can!  I turn it on before leaving for work and have nice dirt free floors when I come home!

3)  Slow Cooking is fast cooking


Have you ever been so exhausted after a long day of work that cooking is the last thing on your mine?  Well, I have one of these days atleast once a week.  Eating out can get expensive, so enter my second best friend, the slow cooker!  We try to do at least one slower cooker meal a week.  There are so many things you can cook with a slower cooker:  pork chops, roast beef, enchilladas, even a cake!  There's even a blog out there about a family who only cooked with the slower cooker for a year!  McCormick even sells seasoning packets especially for slow cooking.  All you have to do is add the main ingredients and mix!

4)  Never leave a messy kitchen - I don't wash my kitchen floors everyday.  But I do make it a rule to never leave dirty dishes in the sink.  After dinner, while one of us gets Taylor ready for bed, the other cleans up.  This means, loading the dishes in the dishwasher, washing and drying any pots and pans, wrapping up leftovers and wiping down the counter tops and stove.  With our hectic schedule, leaving clean up for the next day can easily allow the mess to get out of control!

5)  Pick a room, any room - Like I said, there is always something in my house that needs to be dusted or vacuumed.  And since I'd rather spend my weekends with the family then cleaning, I break it up throughout the rest of the week.  I'm not saying I clean a room every day, but say I'm in the bathroom washing my hands.  I'll go ahead and take an extra 5 minutes wiping down the mirror and sink and scrubbing the toilet.  For cleaning duties that require a little more time, like washing floors, I leave that as my weekend option.  I might wash the kitchen floor on Saturday and bathrooms floors on Sundays.  But since I maintain the kitchen regularly and do quick cleanings during the weekday, I can just focus on the floors rather then the entire room.

6)  Leave a room with atleast one item - In my crazy household, things aren't always where they're supposed to be.  So whenever I leave a room, I always make sure I take atleast one item that doesn't belong and put it back where it's supposed to be.  For example, I always bring a cup of water to bed at night.  In the morning, before I leave the bedroom, I always take the cups with me.  Otherwise, I'd eventually run out of cups!

7)  Don't be a junk mail Junkie- I was dog watching for my sister while she was on vacation for a week.  The amount of junk mail she got in that week was insane!  It made me realize how quickly this stuff can pile up.  That's why every night I do a quick look at the incoming mail and immediatly throw out or shred any type of junk mail.  If you're like me, you probably get a lot of catalogs too.  I rarely keep catalogs that come to my house.  If I don't usually shop at a store, then I throw out the catalog immediately.  If it's something I'm interested, I might keep it to skim through, but also trash it within a day or two.  If I see something I like, then I write it down and go online to order it.

Well, those are a few things to control the chaos and mess in my house.  I don't have super powers and am far from being a "Super Mom", but hopefully, you found some of these tips and ideas useful.  Good night!

2 comments:

Diana said...

I think moms that have a full time job AND manage to take care of thier kids and keep a clean house are more of a supermoms than anyone else. Way to go Phuong! And I love your tips, will def keep in mind when I start a family some day.

Kelly said...

LOVE it! Those tips are great! I also have the no shoes rule and the clean kitchen rule. Then I empty the dishwasher in the morning before going to work. Has made life a little easier. Planning meals ahead of time and even cooking and freezing a bunch ahead of time has helped too, if you have the time.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...