Friday, April 17, 2009

Making Room for Little Muon

My favorite part of being pregnant was decorating Taylor's room.  I wanted the space to be something that could grow with her as she got older.  I didn't want it to scream "nursery", but at the same time still be fun and girly. 

The inspiration came when my sister sent me a link to the bedding of my dreams.  It was love!


The bedding set is from Dwell Studio Garden Blossom collection.  Here's another shot.


I loved the colors and the pattern so much that I decided that the room would be based off of the bedding.  The walls were painted a mocha brown.  The trim and furniture were antique white and the decor would have splashes of pinks and greens. 

My parent's gifted to us the crib and dresser.  I love the curvey contour of the crib.  The crib is a Storkcraft Aspen Crib in Antique White.


When I first saw the Flea Market Chandelier from Pottery Barn Kids, I had to have it!  It was a bit more then I wanted to pay, but I couldn't get it off my mind.  When it finally arrived at the house, I realized it was a plug-in chandelier.  Not what I had wanted or expected since the catalog had said is was a hard-wire chandelier.  We had an existing light fixture in the ceiling that I wanted to replace the chandelier with and didn't want an ugly cord hanging from it.  Not wanting to give up my gorgeous light fixture, I went to Lowe's and spent an hour hunting down an associate that knew something about electrical wiring and lighting.  It was worth the hunt because he was able to give me simple instructions on how to hardwire the chandelier.


I wanted to add some whimsy to the room.  I found these adorable curtains from PBK that used ribbons as ties.  They were $34 and I couldn't fork out any more money to PBK, o I made my own!  For only $13, the finished product turned out better then I imagined!  And it was NO SEW!


I bought a sheer curtain panel from Walmart and ribbons from Michaels.  The hubster helped with the construction.  Here's a close up of the ribbons.


I knew I wanted a focal point in the room that wowed!  So I had my artistically talented sister paint a mural on the wall using the floral design on the bedding.  She spent 2 weekends and close to 20+ hours painting it, but it turned out beautiful!


Here's a close up.  Little Sis had to create a stencil and pain stakingly cuts out the pieces.  A very long process.  Unfortunately, this is the incomplete mural.  She later came back in to add a stem and petals to the flowers.  Strangely, I never retook the picture to show off the finished product.  I'll have to do that and post later.


A bookshelf gifted by my best friend and a few more small details finished off the room.


 





All there was left to add was Taylor. 




Credits:  Some of the pictures were taken by my awesome photographer sister!  Check out her blog.

1 comments:

tdam said...

Love the blog! You should post about the 1st Birthday Party Barn Theme too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...