Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Girl and her Closet!

Ask anyone close to me for one word that would best describe me, it would probably be "anal", I mean, "organized".  So when I was busy planning and decorating Taylor's room, the closet was also included in the plans.  I wanted a closet that could easily be changed and modified as she got older, plus had extra storage space since she was limited to one dresser with not so very deep drawers. 

I did my research and found an easy closet organizer unit at Home Depot. 


The middle shelving piece was perfect for baskets to store little things like socks, bedding, onesies, etc...  The baskets were purchased at Babies 'R Us.  I also liked the fact that I had a double bar on one side for hanging clothes and the other side would be able to hold longer items like dresses for when she got older.  Definitely a unit that could grow with her.

I felt like I still needed a shelf at the top for extra storage up high. The unit did not come with this, so I had the hubby purchase the wire shelves.  Inexpensive and a quick installation, the wire shelves gave us usage of our closet space up high. 


The baskets were labeled using my P-Touch label maker.  I was overwhelmed with the amount of clothes we got from our baby shower and needed to find a way to sort thru them.  I found foam door hangers at Micheals and used them to separate the clothes by size.

And voila, in one afternoon, the closet was transformed!  Here's another last look.


After seeing the pictures, a co-worker half jokingly commented that I wouldn't be able to keep the closet this organized once the baby arrived.  I'm proud to say that the closet is probably more organized then before.  Every 2 months, I go in and purge clothing that is either too small, too stained, or never worn and pack them away.  I also reorganize and move things around to follow suit with what ever seems to be a trend.  For example, when Taylor started wearing jeans, they didn't fit well in the baskets.  I reorganized and moved her jeans into the dresser instead.  You just have to remember to utilize your space efficiently and in a manner that works best for you. 

Friday, April 17, 2009

Making Room for Little Muon

My favorite part of being pregnant was decorating Taylor's room.  I wanted the space to be something that could grow with her as she got older.  I didn't want it to scream "nursery", but at the same time still be fun and girly. 

The inspiration came when my sister sent me a link to the bedding of my dreams.  It was love!


The bedding set is from Dwell Studio Garden Blossom collection.  Here's another shot.


I loved the colors and the pattern so much that I decided that the room would be based off of the bedding.  The walls were painted a mocha brown.  The trim and furniture were antique white and the decor would have splashes of pinks and greens. 

My parent's gifted to us the crib and dresser.  I love the curvey contour of the crib.  The crib is a Storkcraft Aspen Crib in Antique White.


When I first saw the Flea Market Chandelier from Pottery Barn Kids, I had to have it!  It was a bit more then I wanted to pay, but I couldn't get it off my mind.  When it finally arrived at the house, I realized it was a plug-in chandelier.  Not what I had wanted or expected since the catalog had said is was a hard-wire chandelier.  We had an existing light fixture in the ceiling that I wanted to replace the chandelier with and didn't want an ugly cord hanging from it.  Not wanting to give up my gorgeous light fixture, I went to Lowe's and spent an hour hunting down an associate that knew something about electrical wiring and lighting.  It was worth the hunt because he was able to give me simple instructions on how to hardwire the chandelier.


I wanted to add some whimsy to the room.  I found these adorable curtains from PBK that used ribbons as ties.  They were $34 and I couldn't fork out any more money to PBK, o I made my own!  For only $13, the finished product turned out better then I imagined!  And it was NO SEW!


I bought a sheer curtain panel from Walmart and ribbons from Michaels.  The hubster helped with the construction.  Here's a close up of the ribbons.


I knew I wanted a focal point in the room that wowed!  So I had my artistically talented sister paint a mural on the wall using the floral design on the bedding.  She spent 2 weekends and close to 20+ hours painting it, but it turned out beautiful!


Here's a close up.  Little Sis had to create a stencil and pain stakingly cuts out the pieces.  A very long process.  Unfortunately, this is the incomplete mural.  She later came back in to add a stem and petals to the flowers.  Strangely, I never retook the picture to show off the finished product.  I'll have to do that and post later.


A bookshelf gifted by my best friend and a few more small details finished off the room.


 





All there was left to add was Taylor. 




Credits:  Some of the pictures were taken by my awesome photographer sister!  Check out her blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...